Saturday, May 5, 2012

Moving Day

The day I've been so anxious and excited about and especially most dreaded has finally arrived. I'm writing this sitting on my bed in a pretty bare bedroom. I never imagined this day would come today. I think I was expecting it more senior year of high school, but that came and went when I lived at home through my time in college.

I vividly remember being in the front yard of this house a few days before my 14th birthday, crying on the phone to my best friend telling her that my parents were moving us out here one month prior to my freshman year of high school. I was still so young. I got ready for my very first day of high school in this bedroom. I came home from my first badminton matches to this room. I gushed in my journal on this bed about my very first real boyfriend. I got ready for each and every school dance here. I twirled around my bedroom in two beautiful prom dresses and countless others for homecoming and winter formal. I cried my eyes out in this bed after my first love broke up with me, senior year. This bedroom has seen friends come and go through numerous sleepovers and dates. This was the first driveway I drove into when I got my first car.  I got ready for high school graduation in this room and I worried about every little thing in the world in every space of this bedroom and bathroom. I got ready for my first day at ASU here. I snuggled with my first puppy here. I baked my very first cupcakes in that kitchen. I posed for pictures in my culinary school uniform in the living room. Christmas mornings. Skype conversations until the wee hours of the morning. Dramatic blog posts from my bed. (Some things never change) I woke up to be 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 in this bed in this room.

I'm sad to leave it behind. There are so many memories and firsts and everything of the sort in this room, in this house. I knew I wouldn't live here forever, but I never imagined it would be this difficult to let go. Packing up my life was so hard. I had to make decisions as to what was worth keeping for another room. I found photographs, letters, boxes, cds, yearbooks, and wilted flowers, all holding strong memories. I'm trying not to cry so much because this subject has caused me to shed a few tears on more then one occasion since I found out we were moving. I'm hoping this can be the final post and I can put this room in the past and move forward.




















xx - Dan



1 comment:

  1. It's so bittersweet, but look forward to the brand new memories you get to make in your new home! xo

    ReplyDelete